Applicants for loans may have an income of up to 115% of the median income for the area. Families must be without adequate housing, but be able to afford the mortgage payments, including taxes and insurance. In addition, applicants must have reasonable credit histories.
Approved lenders under the Single Family Housing Guaranteed Loan program include:
- Any State housing agency;
- Lenders approved by: HUD for submission of applications for Federal Housing Mortgage Insurance or as an issuer of Ginnie Mae mortgage backed securities;
- the U.S. Veterans Administration as a qualified mortgagee;
- Fannie Mae for participation in family mortgage loans;
- Freddie Mac for participation in family.